Passport Denials for Past-Due Child Support

Passport Denials for Past-Due Child Support

Posted By R. Gregory Colvin LLC || 20-Jan-2020

Sometimes it can be difficult for noncustodial parents to keep up with their child support payments, especially if they lose their job or they have to go on workers’ compensation. Regardless of a noncustodial parent’s financial circumstances, they’re still obligated to pay child support.

If the parent falls behind on their payments and they don’t ask the court for a downward modification, the local child support agency will spring into action and start their enforcement efforts, which may include driver’s license suspension, bank levies, tax refund intercept, property liens, and the denial of a U.S. passport.

For the purposes of this article, we’re going to discuss passport denials for child support arrears since they affect a noncustodial parent’s ability to leave the U.S. and travel abroad.

The Passport Denial Program

Do you travel overseas for work? Do you like to travel abroad to visit friends, family, or for another special reason? Perhaps you’re engaged and you’d like to go to an exotic place for your honeymoon, or perhaps you simply want to visit Canada or Mexico.

Well, if you owe more than $2,500 in back child support, you will not be able to obtain a U.S. passport under what’s called the “Passport Denial Program.”

“The Passport Denial Program, which is part of the Federal Collections and Enforcement Program, helps states enforce past-due support obligations. Under the program, the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) submits a record of parents certified by a state as having arrearages exceeding $2,500 to the State Department,” according to the Office of Child Support Enforcement.

If you owe more than $2,500 in child support, not only will you be denied a U.S. passport, but you face a host of other negative enforcement actions. The best thing to do is to be proactive by calling our office to meet with a member of our legal team. We understand how child support arrears can be daunting and we’re here to help find a resolution.

Contact R. Gregory Colvin, LLC today at (407) 603-3460 to get started.

Categories: Child Support

Why Hire Our Orlando
Family Law Attorney?

  • (+) 25+ years of trusted legal service
  • (+) Trial-tested skill to represent you in court if necessary
  • (+) Available to meet with you on weekends
  • (+) Large firm experience at a small firm price
  • (+) Accessible 24/7 by phone to answer your questions

Contact Us Today

Send My Information