My Ex Won't Let Me See My Kids: Can I Stop Paying Child Support?

My Ex Won't Let Me See My Kids: Can I Stop Paying Child Support?

Posted By R. Gregory Colvin LLC || 20-Nov-2019

When it comes to divorce, it is not uncommon for emotions to affect co-parenting relationships. One spouse may be bitter because their ex was emotionally abusive, manipulating, or controlling. A spouse may be hurt because their husband or wife was bad with money, or because their spouse had an affair. If the couple argued non-stop during the marriage, those arguments may not end after the divorce.

When former spouses are on bad terms, the parent with primary custody of the children may lash out by blocking their ex from seeing their children during their court-ordered parenting time. A custodial parent’s methods may be blatant, or they may be more insidious. For example, a mother may take her children on a vacation during their father’s time with the kids. Or, a father with custody may put the kids in an extra-curricular activity that’s on the same night of the week that the mother is supposed to have the kids.

When Your Ex Won’t Let You See Your Kids

What if it becomes too much? All of a sudden, a missed day here or there turns into weeks or even months without seeing your kids? If by this time you realize that you’re being intentionally blocked or barred from seeing your children during your court-ordered parenting time, you may be wondering, “Do I still have to pay child support if my ex won’t let me see my kids?”

You cannot stop paying child support if your ex won’t let you see your children. Child custody and child support are two SEPARATE matters. If you stop paying child support, you WILL be subject to enforcement actions by your local child support agency and they won’t be pleasant. If you fall behind on child support, you face:

  • Driver license suspension
  • Suspension of other licenses, such as professional, occupational, and recreational (hunting and fishing)
  • Wage garnishment
  • Bank levies
  • US passport denial
  • Tax refund intercept
  • Property liens
  • And more

If your ex is barring you from seeing your children, continue paying child support but take him or her to court. Intentionally blocking a parent from seeing their children is a form of parental alienation and the family courts frown upon it heavily. If you can prove that your ex is intentionally stopping you from seeing your children, it could lead to contempt of court charges, fines, possibly jail time (this is the last resort), and even a change in custody (in your favor).

Next: Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Lose My Job?

For assistance with your child custody and support matter, contact our firm today.

Why Hire Our Orlando
Family Law Attorney?

  • (+) 25+ years of trusted legal service
  • (+) Trial-tested skill to represent you in court if necessary
  • (+) Available to meet with you on weekends
  • (+) Large firm experience at a small firm price
  • (+) Accessible 24/7 by phone to answer your questions

Contact Us Today

Send My Information