Child Custody Agreements: Summer Break

Child Custody Agreements: Summer Break

Posted By R. Gregory Colvin LLC || 7-Jul-2017

For many divorced parents, summer vacation plans can sometimes lead to a fight about your child custody agreement. This is no fun for you, your former spouse, or your children. Making a summer break custody agreement can help ease this potential conflict.

  • Create a Vacation Schedule: Discuss your plans with your ex-spouse and make a summer schedule. This way everyone is aware of where the kids will be during summer break. Once your schedule is decided upon, have your former spouse sign off on it. Be sure to stick to the arranged schedule.
  • Do Not Violate Your Custody Agreement: Custody agreements often have geographical limitations. If you are planning a vacation abroad, your agreement may need to be modified.
  • Communicate with Your Ex-Spouse: Give adequate notice if a scheduling change occurs. This way one spouse won’t feel overwhelmed being left with more responsibility. Notify the other parent of any vacation plans, summer activities, or just any other general “summer-only” changes that may need to be made.
  • It’s Okay for Your Child to Miss the Other Parent: It’s normal for a child to miss a parent if they are seeing them less. This should not be taken personally. Instead, focus on and look forward to the time you do get to spend with them.
  • Consult Your Lawyer when Making Legal Decisions: Even if your share of custody over the summer is more than the other parent, talk to an attorney or at least communicate with your ex-spouse before making any legal decisions on your own.
  • Don’t Skip Child Support Payments: Although your child may be spending more time with you in the summer, it does not mean you’re entitled to skip or tweak any payments. However, you are able to request a child support modification.

Parenting Plan Modifications

When there is a change in circumstances, like one parent moving away, change of custody, or a change in the visitation schedule, parenting plan modifications will usually occur. It is usually simple to get the agreement changed if both parents agree on the new plan. However, if there is a disagreement over the changes, you will need to go to court to prove there is an adequate change in your circumstances that warrants modifying the parenting plan.

Going through a child custody battle? Whether you are facing a divorce or looking to protect your paternal rights, we’ll take the time to help you out. Contact an Orlando divorce lawyer or schedule a case evaluation today.

Why Hire Our Orlando
Family Law Attorney?

  • (+) 25+ years of trusted legal service
  • (+) Trial-tested skill to represent you in court if necessary
  • (+) Available to meet with you on weekends
  • (+) Large firm experience at a small firm price
  • (+) Accessible 24/7 by phone to answer your questions

Contact Us Today

Send My Information